OnPage is the Perfect Pager Alternative
Adopting OnPage’s clinical communication platform equates to enhanced accountability, transparency and reliability. OnPage is an intelligent, automated system, consisting of digital schedules to create on-call “turns” and reduce physician burnout.
OnPage streamlines clinical workflows, further solidifying it as a leader in the pager replacement space. It is a robust HIPAA-compliant solution made for today’s healthcare organizations.
HIPAA-compliant messaging describes the exchange of text messages containing protected health information (PHI) of patients. Messages containing PHI must follow the mandates of the 1996, 2003 and 2013 HIPAA legislation passed by Congress which requires:
- The upholding of patient privacy (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996)
- The use and disclosure of PHI by “covered entities” such as health insurers (2003 Privacy Rule)
- The increased scrutiny of encryption for PHI messages and the increased fines for noncompliance of up to $1.5 million (2013 Final Omnibus Rule)
Since 2013, HIPAA-compliant messaging has gained importance among healthcare providers. By exchanging PHI via pagers, patient information can be accessed by unauthorized third parties and be used to defraud patients and their healthcare providers.
Today, healthcare institutions are moving toward HIPAA-compliant messaging applications that provide secure messaging and uphold the mandates of HIPAA. The apps enhance clinical communication and collaboration to help facilities improve the patient experience.
How to Ensure HIPAA-Compliant Messaging
HIPAA-compliant messaging means that messages containing sensitive patient information are both secure and encrypted.
When hospitals and clinics introduce HIPAA-compliant messaging into their organization, they must maintain reasonable and appropriate administrative, technical and physical safeguards for protecting e-PHI. The Department of Health and Human Services states that organizations must:
- Ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of all electronic protected health information which is created, received, maintained or transmitted
- Protect against any reasonably anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of this information
- Protect against any reasonably anticipated uses or disclosures of patient information
- Ensure compliance by users of the information
HIPAA-Compliant Messaging for Hospitals and Clinics
OnPage’s HIPAA-compliant messaging service lets care teams:
- Receive critical alerts that bypass the silent switch on iOS and Android
- Communicate via encrypted and secure text communications
- Create and manage escalation policies
- Receive high-priority alerts continuing for up to eight hours until acknowledged
- Track messages with SENT, DELIVERED and READ receipts
- Configure on-call scheduling for multiple individuals without limitation to location, with the ability to create one-time exceptions
- Add images and voice attachments to messages to convey more information for better decision-making
- Remotely wipe sensitive patient information
Direct Patient-to-Physician Communications
Patient-to-physician communications are streamlined with OnPage’s dedicated lines and live call capabilities. Patients dial just one number to directly reach on-call physicians, discussing their urgent and time-sensitive clinical issues.
When patients need to reach out to a physician on a live call, OnPage automates the process and includes escalation paths, ensuring that patient issues are always addressed.
Combine the power of patient record management with contextual, real-time alerting to bolster decision-making and improve patient care.
Override Silent Switch and DND mode on all devices
OnPage is one of the very few incident alerting services to override the silent switch on iOS and Do Not Disturb (DND) mode on all devices. This ensures that all OnPage high-priority, critical alerts are addressed and heard regardless of one’s iOS configurations or system settings.
eBook: Eight HIPAA-Compliant Messaging Myths Dispelled
In healthcare, over 68 percent of security breaches are due to the loss or theft of personal mobile devices. Conventional thinking says that this is the fault of smartphone use but in Eight HIPAA Secure Messaging Myths Dispelled we explore how:
- Using pagers instead of smartphones hurts the efficiency and security of hospitals
- Using smartphones in the right way can actually improve patient outcomes and enable them to leave the hospital sooner
- HIPAA secure messaging can improve healthcare communications by 43 percent