IT teams define success as solving problems quickly. To enable ITSM modernization we have to think of adopting the tools and methods that will enable resolution of ITSM issues more quickly. To be clear, modernization does not mean stepping away from SLAs or DevOps. Instead, modernization means bringing on automation of key IT processes and capturing information that can be used to improve future customer interactions or product launches or methodologies
The goal of this blog is to:
- Examine the role of ITSM in today’s IT infrastructure
- Look at the role of cloud
- Highlight the role of collaboration in ITSM
The state of ITSM
First, it is important to reiterate that ITSM is growing. Current stats show that 56% of ITSM teams are slated for growth. At the same time though, many of the ITSM best practices that need to be heeded to ensure effective growth are not followed. According to recent statistics:
- Only 52% of IT teams operate with SLAs
- Only 56% of IT teams capture feedback on the quality of their support
These are but a few of the metrics that are used to judge ITSM effectiveness. However, without the necessary feedback in place to ensure meaningful data is captured on these statistics, ITSM will not be effective. ITSM modernization means accepting these additions to the traditional scorecard and bringing them on as part of the new reality. By consistently applying ITSM strategy to products, performance will improve and the mindset will shift towards further innovation.
The role of the Cloud
Further adoption of the cloud is becoming a key component of ITSM. When it comes to cloud’s impact on ITSM initiatives, many see the cloud as making asset management more challenging. However, at the same time, cloud is also shortening the review cycle for managing change, reducing ITSM costs, pushing teams to use the cloud as a resource for running software and (more importantly) pushing ITSM teams to pay more attention to DevOps.
The impacts of cloud on ITSM teams demonstrate that the cloud is often challenging. Moreover, cloud adoption is also putting pressures on ITSM teams and IT to become more transparent in managing costs. One effective way to more effective manage costs is to streamline integrations and collaborations to ensure an efficient process. This increased efficiency is also integral to ITSM modernization.
Highlight the role of collaboration in ITSM modernization
The most common mistake made in trying to measure ITSM success is focusing on IT practices rather than the ITSM goal of improving business operations and customer results. To this end, collaboration must be front and center if operations are to improve.
Effective ITSM modernization needs to bring in components such as:
- Ticketing – ticketing software catalogs all the various aspects of the unfolding incident so that it can be used at a later instance to provide insight. ServiceNow, ConnectWise Manage and Kaseya are popular examples. Ticketing is what keeps track of events and status updates that come from alerts or ChatOps conversations
- Alerting – alerting is an important part of effective ITSM management. Alerting ensures that if a service defined by SLAs is not functioning, engineers will be notified.
- ChatOps – chatops tools such as Slack and Spark are extremely popular with IT teams. For many teams, Slack is where work gets done. By enabling integration with alerting and ticketing tools, ITSM teams can follow the resolution of an event and use the conversations to improve post-mortem analyses.
IT Service Management teams invite trouble when they fail to prep for an incident and fail to act as team. By integrating information from the above automations, IT teams will be more prepared for issues as the arise.
While one can never be sure what the future of ITSM will bring, research does suggest that ITSM’s value to IT will continue to grow. At the same time, the array of challenges and requirements that ITSM teams must address will continue to grow as well. The point which cannot be overlooked is that in order to effectively embrace these new challenges ITSM modernization will require increased attention to innovation, organization and technology.
Learn more about ITSM modernization by downloading our whitepaper.